Monday, October 26, 2009

Kelly Khung, aka, The Mosquito Killer

For those of you back home who AREN'T fluent in Vietnamese (Lord knows why you would be) 'khung' means crazy. Yeah, that's me. I'm the Crazy Mosquito Killer Girl...be scared!

Mosquitoes don't fly that fast - not as fast as flies do, anyway. But still, I'm proud of myself. I can normally terminate them in one clap/smack/squish of both my hands. I feel like that white kid in that movie (was it 'The Karate Kid'? or maye 'The Last Samurai'? same same but different!) who sits down with his old Asian sensai and is taught how to reach out and grab that annoying, buzzing insect on his first try. I think he finally managed to do so after three days of training.

Well, folks, Vietnam sure as hell ain't Hollywood. It might have taken me nine weeks longer than the 'dude in that movie' to master the art of mosquito mutilation - but I got there!

Now, if only I can manage to avoid more motorbike burns on my right leg and nasty shaving maladies on my left, I might come home looking as scar-free as I was two months ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment