Friday, October 23, 2009

Smokey Days















Sometimes, when I come home from a sweltering hot day of teaching, there are dozens of little fires burning all around my condo complex.

I can smell them before I can see them. At first I got excited and thought the neighborhood was havin' a block party. Then I realized I was in Vietnam and not the South Bronx. Damn.

After my initial disappointment, I got worried. Why are they burning? And exactly what is burning?! I'm assuming it's trash, because that's what the leftover contents seem to represent...but who knows.

All I know is that eventually they get put out. Or perhaps they put themselves out. And the next morning there are scatterred ashes everywhere, no doubt adding to the accumulated dirt and grime that stings my eyes whenever I'm on the back of a motorbike taxi. Can Tho is not environmentally conscious in the least, and this drives me as crazy as I drove my mother when I neglected to put any/all plastic bottles in the recycling bin. Sorry, mom.

We only have one Earth, guys...so stop burning your trash on my front lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment